The Front Lines

Friday, March 31, 2006

Friendly Fire

My heart tries to pound its way out of my chest. My breathing is quick and ragged. Sweat trickles down my forehead despite the chill air. I wipe it away with an unsteady hand. Clutching my rifle tightly, I peer into the night. A soldier shifts nervously, cracking a stick under his foot. I whip my head around to glare at him before returning my gaze to the darkened forest. Minutes tick by. Perhaps it was only a raccoon. They are nocturnal creatures. It didn't have to be an enemy soldier.

I take a deep breath and let it out shakily. Motioning to the patrol behind me, I quietly press on into the night.

The surprise armor assault had hit my section of the line extraordinarily hard. Of the twenty-eight men in my platoon, eighteen had been killed or wounded. Reinforcements had arrived promptly, but all were fresh out of basic training. They were little more than boys. Still wet behind the ears. Not guaranteed to stand in the heat of battle. I had been raised to a sergeant and told to keep an eye on the new arrivals.

Our platoon commander had been killed in the attack as well. My new CO, an ambitious but naive lieutenant, had ordered a patrol to assess the enemy's strength on our section of the line.

So this is how I find myself sneaking through the night with five trigger-happy boys behind me. Suicide.

The wind gusts suddenly, bringing a faint sound. I freeze. Nothing. I listen nervously. There it is again! It sounds like human speech. Dropping to all fours, I crawl forward silently. The patrol follows.

A moment later, a large building is visible through the trees. It appears to be a command center. I can see enemy soldiers going in and out constantly. There must be a large concentration of troops in this area. I watch for a few moments, making notes. In a short time, I get a good idea of the enemy's strength on this part of the line.

Motioning silently to the boys behind me, I retreat back towards our line in the same stealthy manner. We are within a few hundred yards of our line now. I begin to breathe a little easier. Surely we're safe no----

Tracers arc through the night as gunfire rips apart the silence. The branches over my head splinter. I dive to the ground. One of the boys behind me cries out and falls backwards. The rest drop flat, yelling incoherently.

I shout in fear and rage as the bullets streak through the air over me.

"CEASE FIRE!!! We are friendlies! For goodness sake, cease fire!!"

A moment later, the gunfire quiets. I rise unsteadily to my feet and look back at my patrol. Four boys clamber up shakily. One lies unnaturally still. I grit my teeth and look towards our line. A group is gathering. A young recruit stands before his foxhole, his weapon trailing in the dust. I can clearly see the agony on his face as he realizes what he has done.

Tears fill my eyes and I set my jaw as I turn away. Friendly fire. The worst kind of casualty.

* * * * *


Wars are never pleasant. No one enjoys the pain and anguish that such conflicts bring. Soldiers respond to the agony differently. Some draw more deeply from the King's Word and use it to salve their wounds. Others turn their pain onto those around them, taking their suffering out on those they love.

The enemy enjoys hurting soldiers in whatever way he can. He especially enjoys it when soldiers do his job for him by harming each other.

Suffering is a hard thing to bear. It can sometimes be easy for soldiers to let the pain distract them from the reality that their loved ones are not their enemy. Sometimes they rip into their friends and family with their words and deeds, acting out of their hurting hearts. They do not realize the damage they are causing.

Such casualties are a waste. Friendly fire is a horrible thing.

My comrades, I know the suffering you are experiencing. Pain is hard to bear. Yet the King is able to salve your wounds. Take your pain to Him. Do not let your suffering blind you to the realities of friend and enemy. Do not take down your loved ones with friendly fire.

My Captain, watch over my words and actions.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great post, Soldier!
My friend and I are editors of a new bi-monthly Christian magazine. It's named "Call to Battle" and it is geared toward teenagers. If you would be interested in writing for it (or subscribing), please e-mail me at tralou@mail.com so I can give you more details.
We would love to have another writer on board, and I think your style would fit in well with our magazine, so please write me if you're interested!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Thanks for the info! I'll send you an e-mail; that sounds like fun. :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger T. Suzanne Eller said...

Your writing is beautiful.

From one writer to another,

Suzanne Eller
author of Real Teens, Real Stories, Real Life

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post! Indeed we feel so tempted to revenge ourselves on people instead of turning to God.

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comrades, I know the suffering you are experiencing. Pain is hard to bear. Yet the King is able to salve your wounds. Take your pain to Him. Do not let your suffering blind you to the realities of friend and enemy. Do not take down your loved ones with friendly fire.

Are you a soldier? Are you in the Army? Have you ever been in combat? have you ever laid on the ground having the enemy shoot at you from all directions? have you ever watched a friend bleed to death in front of you? Have you ever seen a dead child? Where do you get this stuff? you don't find God on a battlefield son. After you go to combat, you'll understand that.

your writing is naive. Go enlist, go to Iraq, then write some more of this...

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thomas! I am still trying to get over the fact that I actually know you personally and you are in to the whole ROC and everything... What weird circumstances, eh? :) Great blog you've got here!

I'm awfully curious, though, how did you find me?

Keep it up!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Once again, thank you for the excellent post and reminder!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okaaay... Things are getting weirder by the minute here. :)

And how do you know all these people when you've only been blogging for like two months!!!??

David... Is there something you're not telling me? :)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Hey Pete! Or should I say Peter...lol, that's what we called you. :) Anyways, thanks for dropping by my blog! And I know these people because I followed what everyone says: Post on other people's blogs!! Lol, it works. I think I found you through ROC.

Are you a soldier? Are you in the Army? Have you ever been in combat? have you ever laid on the ground having the enemy shoot at you from all directions? have you ever watched a friend bleed to death in front of you? Have you ever seen a dead child? Where do you get this stuff? you don't find God on a battlefield son. After you go to combat, you'll understand that.

your writing is naive. Go enlist, go to Iraq, then write some more of this...


You say my writing is naive. I say your logic is flawed. Do you have to experience a thing to understand it? Must you always learn from your own experiences? Is there no place for learning from others? I think there is. It is incredibly illogical to attack me for not being a real soldier.

No, I have never seen or done any of those things. Does that make me any less qualified to write about them? It does if I claim to be an expert, but I don't. You never find me claiming to be an expert soldier on this blog. My illustrations are for the purpose of explaining spiritual warfare.

If you attack my argument about not taking down comrades with friendly fire, what is your opinion? Should we attack friends and family with our words and actions just because we ourselves are hurting? I think not.

As for finding God on a battlefield, you can find God anywhere. You just have to look for Him. It is easier for some to find Him on battlefields than others. Obviously you are not one of them. My grandfather, on the other hand, was. So are many others. Just because you are not one of those doesn't mean that God cannot be found on a battlefield.

One final thing. I am not a soldier in this physical world. I don't completely understand physical warfare. I admit that. But I am a solder in the spiritual realm. That kind of warfare I understand very well.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, well... Cool! :) And please, call me Pete. The football group is pretty much the only thing I've ever been in where people called me by my full name. lol :)

I guess I was more curious as to how you bumped into the whole thing I'm into and the same circle of bloggers that I know... It's just a really weird circumstance, that's all! :)

Anyway... Sweet blog and keep it up! :)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you a soldier? Are you in the Army? Have you ever been in combat? have you ever laid on the ground having the enemy shoot at you from all directions? have you ever watched a friend bleed to death in front of you? Have you ever seen a dead child? Where do you get this stuff? you don't find God on a battlefield son. After you go to combat, you'll understand that.

your writing is naive. Go enlist, go to Iraq, then write some more of this...


My brother is using analogy, or even allegory if you will, to make a point. He has chosen to use war because he believes (as many of us do) that we are in a spiritual battle. You ask if he has experience. As a Christian, he does have experience. Every Christian does. In Ephesians 6:12, it says, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." It doesn't say "for some of us wrestle..."

Yes, he has experience. We all do.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Moriah said...

Wow. Amazing post!
If we think about it; we are all soldiers in a way. If we have accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior, then we become soldiers in a spiritual battle that we have already one because of the blood of Christ.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home