The Front Lines

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Fully Engaged

My sleep is filled with fitful dreams. Terrible shapes haunt the night. They shadow me as I move through the forest. I can hear them growling, a low rumble that seems to grow louder by the second. Demonic laughter echoes in the treetops. Something leaps at me out of the dark. I whirl to face bared fangs and scream in terror.

I sit up shaking and wipe an unsteady hand across my brow. My heart is trying to pound its way out of my chest. Waves of adrenaline still course through my body, slowly receding as I come back to the waking world. I listen nervously to the night around me. I hear nothing but the sigh of the wind in the trees and a far-off rumble.

I settle back down into my blanket with a relieved sigh and smile sheepishly at my own fantasies. The rumble grows louder.

What rumble?

I jump to my feet and peer into the night beyond my foxhole, my senses on full alert. The wind gusts briefly and I lose the sound. It comes back, louder than ever. Instantly, I know what it is. An armored column!

I grab my helmet and jump out of my hole. I must warn the commander of the imminent threat. They sound as if they are head--

A violent hand picks me up and throws me through the air. I land with a grunt, losing my breath. The thunder of the concussion shatters the night air. Dirt and rocks from the shell's impact rain down on my battered body. I crawl forward, trying desperately to find shelter.

Flashes illuminate the other side of the clearing. I grovel in the dirt as the night is torn apart around me. I am tossed about like a rag doll by the explosions. Squirming forward, I search desperately for a foxhole, any place to find shelter from the attack. I can see the massive tanks lumbering into the clearing. Foot soldiers run alongside the armor.

A hole appears in front of me. I slither into it face first and lie panting on the bottom like a fish in a boat.

An electronic beep catches my attention.

I sit up and realize I am not alone. A soldier slouches on the other side of the hole, appearing totally engrossed in a handheld electronic device. He is playing a GameBoy.

My mouth drops open in disbelief.

"Hey!" I shout.

"What?" He doesn't even look up.

"What are you doing?!"

"Playing Super-Duper Mario 10,000. What's it look like?"

"Don't you realize we're under attack?! For crying out loud, there's a war on!" I can feel the earth-shaking whump of mortars. The crackle of small arms joins the cacophony.

The soldier remains engrossed in his game.

"Is there? That's nice. It doesn't concern me very much."

I stare at him in disbelief. "But you're a soldier! Of course it concerns you!"

He shrugs noncommittally. I realize my mouth is hanging open and I close it with a snap. Rising to my feet, I look down at the soldier in sorrow and a bit of irritation. I realize there is nothing I can do for him right now. The Commander will have to deal with him.

With a sigh, I chamber a round in my rifle.

* * * * * *


A war rages among us. Most true soldiers see the reality of this war, their eyes opened by the Captain. Few will deny the truth that we fight battles every day. Yet not every soldier is a fighter.

The enemy is very crafty. He knows he cannot ultimately triumph through an all-out frontal assault. Yet he is unwilling to simply accept defeat. He continually plots new ways to entrap the King's soldiers and make them useless.

He found one of his greatest weapons in modern culture. Using the attraction that the world holds for mankind, he draws in many soldiers and catches their attention with temporal things. He gets them totally immersed in the culture. More often than not, they soon forget about the things of the King.

Thus the enemy neutralizes many soldiers without striking a blow.

Far too many soldiers are so completely engaged in the world that they do little in the King's service. They maintain their faith and keep their relationship with the Captain free from reproach, but they are not doing harm to the enemy. They pose little threat to him.

These inactive soldiers go through their life just living. They never truly step out in faith and carry the war to the enemy. They appear to have a fulfilling life, but they do not experience the joy and exhilaration that the Captain gives when His soldiers fight well. They are on the front lines, but they might as well be in reserve for all the good they are doing.

My comrades, examine your life carefully. How much are you doing for the King? Have you become so caught up in the cares of this world that you have been neutralized? Do not go through your life in such a state. Step out, dust off your weapon, and go to war. You cannot fall. The war has already been won.

My Captain, keep me in the front lines.

16 Comments:

Blogger Wholesome Works said...

Soldier of One,

I really enjoy your posts. You obviously have a talent for writing.

Your war stories give me the feeling of being in a foxhole in WWII. I could almost feel the earth shake at the blast of artillery.
Very good life application of your stories too.

Zachary

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas, you're right on. Sometimes we think we're okay just "living" righteously, but we're not actively resisting the devil. keep it up, man.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My Captain, keep me in the front lines."
Amen!
So many people are "saved" and they think that's all there is to life. We tend to think that if we are "as good as possible," and resist temptation when we can, then that's all God wants of us. So many Christians miss the real point, doing God's will, resisting the devil, spreading light, helping save the world, all that good stuff :)
May the LORD make our generation realize we are in a war zone, and teach us to follow him, trust him, and fight.
Thomas, thanks for the encouragement! (and I really enjoy your style)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Wholesome Works said...

I now link to you. :)

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, thankyou for the encouragement. The way you write sticks with me, your articles are something that my mind just can't shake. To God be the Glory.

I noticed my brother has you all in locked combat over there in the music discussion. :P Hope you're enjoying it.

Maybe not, maybe it's just a little bit of a friendly argument between the soldiers. :D I get this feeling it's kinda like the Dodge/Ford/GMC debates. Except this time it's about ammunition. :P

6:58 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Thanks for the compliments, guys. All glory to the ONE. If I can make people think about where they are in their relationship with Him, I will have accomplished my objective. :)

David...hehe...so that's your brother, huh? He's quite the debater. I obviously disagree quite adamantly with him on several points, but I doubt that any of them will matter too much when the trumpet blows anyway. It's just fun to debate. :)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Hehe...won't Isaac be mad if the last trumpet uses a rap tune, eh? LOL. :D

Hehehe...I actually find that thought VERY funny, lol!!!! :D

Thanks for your contributions to the discussion at Kingdom Knights. You're really making me and Jon look bad with all of your active participation...maybe you and Chris should run it, lol. :D

Hey, it's a fun blog. I can't do stuff like that on this blog; I'm limiting it to the style I have already. Kinda unique and fun, but a little limiting. So I consider yours a kind of "home away from home" where I can discuss stuff all I want. :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

David is right- your style is very momorable! I'm really enjoying your posts... keep up the good work!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Whoops, that was a typo... I meant "memorable"!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soldier of ONE,

Is it OK if I email this post to a couple of my friends? I will include your name "Soldier of ONE" and your blog address.

Thanks,
Sparky
Mark 16:15

1:58 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Sure thing, Sparky. Thanks for asking! :)

And if you guys are wondering...sorry for the long delay between posts here! I know what I'm going to write, I just haven't done it yet. College applications tend to sap your time. ;) If you think about it, pray that God will provide financially; money will be a real issue this fall.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soldier of One,

If you seek God's will for where he wants to you go to college, and you are sure you go where he wants, then he will always provide. It may not always be a road of roses, but he will provide. I am attending Portland Community College, and I know what it's like to wonder about finances, but so far the Lord has provided through the work I have previously done, a relative, and the 20 hours a week I am working.

Bottom Line: If you go where God wants you to be, He will provide.

I will pray for your situation,
Sparky
Mark 16:15

10:46 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! It's funny...I say stuff like that all the time, but I have to have it said to me occasionally too!

PCC, huh? That's not very far away from me...cool.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Well, God sure does provide!! I heard from my college in Florida recently. Their tutition and fees this next year should hit around $33,500. They've offered me over $37,000 in financial aid this next year!! $5,500 is a loan, but if I don't need all of it and I can only borrow about $2,000 per year, that'd be good. In any case, the college has pretty much given me $31,500 per year!!! God is good!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is this? you want to "fight a battle" - go to Iraq. you writing is so naive and childish.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

what is this? you want to "fight a battle" - go to Iraq. you writing is so naive and childish.

My goodness, I have to respectfully suggest that you are quite clueless. I'm talking about spiritual warfare here, not physical!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home